Kyosho: The Essentials of Jodo Shinshu
Name of Teaching: Jodo Shinshu (True Essence of Pure Land Buddhist Teaching)
Founder: Shinran Shonin (1173-1263)
Name of School: Jodo Shinshu Hongwanji-ha
Head Temple: Ryukokuzan Hongwanji (Nishi Hongwanji)
Object of Reverence: Amida Tathagata (Namo Amida Butsu)
The Three Pure Land Sutras Delivered by Shakyamuni Buddha
1. Bussestsu Muryoju Kyo (The Sutra of the Buddha of Immeasurable Life)
2. Bussestsu Kammuryoju Kyo (The Sutra of Contemplation of the Buddha of Immeasurable Life)
3. Bussetsu Amida Kyo (The Sutra on Amida Buddha)
Shinran Shonin's Writings
1. Shoshin Nembutsuge (Hymn of True Entrusting Heart and the Nembutsu), excerpt from the "Chapter on Practice" of Kyōgyōshinshō
2. Jodo Wasan (Hymns of the Pure Land)
3. Koso Wasan (Hymns of the Pure Land Masters)
4. Shozomatsu Wasan (Hymns of the Dharma Ages)
Rennyo Shonin's "Gobunsho Letters"
Attaining the "entrusting heart" - awakening to the compassion of Amida Tathagata (Buddha) through the working of the Primal Vow - we shall walk the path of life reciting Amida's Name (Nembutsu). At the end of life, we will be born in the Pure Land and attain Buddhahood, returning at once to this delusional world to guide people to awakening.
Way of Life:
Guided by the teaching of Shinran Shonin, we shall listen to the compassionate calling of Amida Tathagata and recite the Nembutsu. While always reflecting on ourselves, amidst our feelings of regret and joy, we shall live expressing our gratitude without depending on petitionary prayer and superstition.
The Hongwanji School is a community of people joined together revering the teaching of Shinran Shonin and saying the Nembustu. We seek to share with others the wisdom and compassion of Amida Tathagata. by doing so, we shall work toward the realization of society in which everyone is able to live a life of spiritual fulfillment.